Recipe time! It's been a while my friends. Today I'm sharing a quick recipe that features some tofu. Tofu is one of those great items in the kitchen because it takes one literally any flavor you throw its way! As per usual I have to give you a little nutritional background of what makes tofu a superstar in both the kitchen and for health benefits!
Tofu and Health Benefits
Tofu is made from soybeans which are high in a plant compound called isoflavones
Studies have shown that due to these isoflavones soy-based products that are minimally processed (i.e. tofu, tempeh, soybeans, etc.) may be beneficial towards some types of cancers such as prostate, gastrointestinal, and breast cancer
Tofu is considered a complete protein meaning that it contains all of the essential amino acids our body needs just like animal sources of protein
Alright I digress time for the recipe!
- 1 small bag of frozen stir fry blend
- 1 package extra firm tofu
- 1/2 cup quinoa, cooked as per package instructions (I cook mine with 1 tsp of olive oil, garlic powder, salt, and ginger powder)
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 1 tsp honey
- 2 tsp ginger powder
- 1/4 cup low sodium teriyaki sauce
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 tsp sesame oil
1. The night before cut tofu and place on a cookie sheet lined with paper towels. Top tofu with several paper towels and place a weight on top (i.e. cutting board, cast-iron skillet, etc.). Place in the fridge overnight to absorb moisture. Do this rid the tofu of moisture so it better absorbs seasonings and allows it to be crispy when cooking.
2. The next day combine teriyaki, water, honey, ginger powder, and garlic cloves in a bowl and mix well.
3. Place tofu in bowl and allow to marinate in mixture for at least 10 minutes.
4. Once tofu has marinated heat up sesame oil in skillet and and line pan with cubed tofu, allowing each side of tofu to become crispy. Once crispy on both sides remove from pan and set aside in bowl.
5. In same pan heat up stir fry veggies adding remainder of teriyaki mixture that tofu marinated in, adding extra teriyaki if needed.
6. Once veggies cooked plate quinoa, then stir fry veggies, and top with crispy tofu and ENJOY!
Until next time,